Friday, February 22, 2013

Nameless Bag

Hello everyone.  I hope you have had a great week.  I am finally getting caught up a bit, so that feels a lot better.  My February edition of the PDQ Club is up on the Henry Glass website, so be sure to go visit and leave me a comment there.  henryglassfabrics.blogspot.com
Here's a peek at the project:


I have chosen a winner for last month's PDQ comment.  It is:

Cindy said...

I have both of your books and would love the fat quarters to make one of the quilts in the books. Love the new fabrics!

If this is you--emaill me your address so I can send you some fun fabric!

Now.  I have been working on a new pattern for a bag.  I don't have a name for it yet, but here are a few shots of it. (Any ideas for a name for this project?)


 



I love that it is really large and I can fold the handles down when I am not carrying it, for easy access.

I need a big bag to carry all kinds of things like quilting projects, or lesson materials for classes or church, etc.












There are several pockets to keep things organized and lots of room for STUFF.












I still have a bit of "tweaking" to do on the pattern, so this one was just basically for practice.  I need to make another one to finalize everything.

I used a different product for the batting in this bag than I have used before.  It is called "Soft and Stable" from byAnnie.com.  It is a fabric foam--100% polyester.  It is soft and easy to sew but still maintains its shape so the bag stands up and doesn't collapse.  Have you ever used Soft and Stable before?  I think I really like it.

23 comments:

Jan said...

I think it looks like a great project bag, so that's what I'd call it, "Project Bag". Boring, I know.

Nicole Christoffersen said...

Jill,

I found your blog! Your bag is fantastic! I'm going to have to make at least three-one for quilting, one for church and one to have available whenever I travel! I'm excited for te pattern to come out!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Congratulations to Cindy! Love the new bag~ it wants to be called a flip and go tote. ;-) Have a happy weekend!

Kathryn said...

I think the bag should be called Cupcake. That's what the shape reminds me of. Very nice

Deonn said...

What a great bag, Jill! I have used the Soft & Stable and just love it! I've even quilted through it and used it in place of lining in a teeny purse. It's a terrific product, and really makes your bag out"stand"ing. :) I like Sandie's suggestion for the name!

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Awesome bag. "Bottomless Pit" springs to mind. Looking forward to that pattern.

Flávia e Cristiana said...

Lindo trabalho, e muito prático também!

Cecilia said...

I love the fabrics you used in your bag. I would call it the Fold and Go Tote. :-). I've used the soft and stable and really liked it.

Patricia Lessell said...

Love your new bag and can't wait for it to be released. What sprang to my mind was Hold Me from the song.

onlymehere said...

I have a bag for church things etc. with toys that the grandbabies can only play with at church, doctor visits etc. We just call it the "Go Bag" because if we're going somewhere it goes with us! The toys stay new for the grandbabies since this is the only time they play with them and they're quiet toys. I'd love to make a better looking one like your's though so I'll be watching for the pattern!
Cindy

Margaret said...

I love this bag. I need something to carry project stuff to class. I just started using soft and stable and I love it. I first saw it demonstrated for making placemats and thought it was a neat product. Then I started pattern testing for another designer and she uses it in all her bags. I really like it. I thought it might be hard to sew with but it is really awesome. Has a lot less lint than fuseable that I was using.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Clever bag! I haven't used the Soft and Stable yet, but (of course) I own some!

Tammy said...

The flexability bag...So flexable. Or the on the go bag. Or the quilters stash bag....Enjoy tweaking and nameing your new baby..(bag) conn_and_vans_mom(at)yahoo(dot)com

LeAnne said...

I really like this bag, especially the way the curvy handles fold over to get to the goodies inside. How about the Fold and Go Tote?

Maxine said...

Love the bag..have used Soft & Stable on several bags and like the end result.This really is a ON the GO BAG...goes anywhere you go or not...And I love your blog patterns etc...

kathy said...

I really like the new bag...I discovered the "Sew and Stable" about Christmastime and love it!It really is easy to sew with great results. I think you should call this new bag the "Jillily Tote".

Ramona said...

My first thought was "Hang it all" since the top part looked at first glance like the top of a hanger - then I saw it was actually more decorative, but still looks like it will hold "it all". So maybe that name works.

Nancy Page said...

This bag would be perfect for a class. You could carry all the fabric, thread, tools, books, patterns, etc. that you would need for a class. Everything would be together. It could be called "The Classy Bag". It would also make a great bag for traveling and carrying handwork, a book, the iPad, whatever is needed for traveling. Looking forward to the pattern.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

K and D in the RV said...

All I could see is that the bag would be perfect for going to a big quilt show!! For all your loot! You could call it Showtime! Lol.

Hifam said...

I love the bag. It's great how the handles fold over so it's easier to see into the bag. You've had a ton of great suggestions here for names for the bag. I asked my kids for suggestions. My 11 year old son says "the pocket rocket". My 14 year old daughter thinks the "Love Handle" is a clever name (since I told her I loved the handles). Good luck choosing a name!

Cyndi said...

I love the bag, really like the handles flipping down, can hardly wait for the pattern. The fabric colors are just what I love!!

PamKittyMorning said...

Love the bag, especially the curvy edges and the little handle hole. They look hard to do but add so much to the look of the bag.

Beeshebags said...

I love the bag, did you ever decide on a name? Also, is the pattern available yet? I'd love to make some for my quilty friends for Xmas this year.....I'm sure they'll love it too.

Hugs
Naomi