Monday, November 26, 2012

Holiday Season Upon Us

Well, the feast is over, and it is time to get back to work.  I am behind on my orders--still waiting for some fabric to arrive, and busy with Market and Festival orders.  So if you are waiting---be patient--I am running as fast as I can!

We had a wonderful family Thanksgiving together with all the family.  I cooked and baked for two days and we had quite the feast.


I made 144 homemade rolls (YUMMMM) and they are all gone.  They are always the first to go.  Two turkeys are gone, and all the trimmings.  We did overdo it on the mashed potatoes (thank you Schuyler) we had so many I had to freeze some.  But everything else was pretty much gone by Saturday.  Having a big family makes for a lot of people helping out.  We had a grand time together, and it was nice to put the business aside for a few days.

On Friday we headed out early to the mountains to find a few Christmas trees.  What a great adventure!

Step 1:  Get a permit.  Or 5.  (This may involve driving for 2 1/2 hours one way--but the price can't be beat--$10 per tree + $.50 per foot above 8'.)

Step 2:  Drive three cars-full of people up the canyons to the bottom of a dirt (MUD) road.

 Step 3:  Put as many people as possible on the 4-wheelers so we can get up the snowy/icy road.


(While it was nice and sunny down below, when you get up to this elevation, you will need a coat and some gloves!)







 Step 4:  Give all the "men" in your group a sharp object to cut a tree with.
 (That's Schuyler and JoJo with my grandsons, Landon and Isaac.)


















 (Nice "apartment-sized" tree for college students.)

















Step 5:  Send women and small children to scout for suitable trees.

 Step 6:  Help the grandkids cut the tree.

 Step 7:  Tell Jordan "no" when he wants you to cut down a 40 foot tree with a trunk three feet across.
"Well, I just thought I'd ask."

 Step 8:  View the cuttings.



Step 9:  Bring them all "home again, home again, jiggety jig."




Step 10:  Find a few shiny ornaments,  and using a ladder and as many helpers as possible, allowing several hours, decorate the tree.

(Remember that trees found growing in nature may not be perfect--just as humans--and may have a few missing branches or spaces in places.  Large ribbons or fluff of some kind is helpful in filling spaces.) 

Editor's Note: Unlike the tree, I don't have any spaces in places, but I do have a bit of fluff here and there.

Step 11:  Finished!  Ta-Dah!


That's all of the decorating I am doing for now.  I have to get back to cutting kits and writing patterns.  There is plenty of time, and we will get to the rest of it LATER!  It's still November, after all.




Remember, the Holiday Lane Blog Hop is still going on, and there are some great projects to see!  I have had so much fun seeing all of the different fabrics and embellishments the blog hoppers are using. Check it out on my sidebar.


4 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

10 for Thankgiving dinner at my house seems so small next to your table. As for your tree, what a fantastic way to choose it and by the size of the step ladders it must be huge. Maybe I should move to the States.

Unknown said...

What a beautifully decorated Christmas tree! We used to cut our own Christmas trees, too, before the kids moved away! :( Ahh . . . the memories! *Sigh* I had so much fun spending some time with you and your sister in Houston! I never thought going to dinner could be so much fun, but when you and Dana would get going, now THAT was FUN! Let's stay in touch! Hugs! :)

Farm Quilter said...

Your post brought back memories Christmas tree cutting back when I was a child - 4-5 families would get together and make a fabulous day of it, finishing with a pot luck dinner at someone's home! I continued the tradition when my girls were little, taking Nana and Papa with us for a fun-filled day! Blessings.

PamKittyMorning said...

It's beautiful! And wow it must smell wonderful. Looks like a great time was had by all!!!