Today I want to show you some more of the studio storage and function solutions. I mentioned my small closet in the last post, so here is a picture. Like I said, it is a good place to put the ugly stuff so I can keep it out of view.
In my previous sewing rooms, I had a bulletin board with photos and inspirational items to brighten up a wall. Instead of a bulletin board this time, I decided I wanted to use one of the windows we had used at my daughter's wedding as a display area. Remember these windows we used on the tables? I wrote a blog about it --you can go read it if you want.
Anyway, these windows have some good memories, so it makes a fun display for some more memories. I just tape the photos to the glass, and the wood is so old and porous that I can pin into it if I need to. It's a very informal space, and I can add anything that inspires me.
My display window is hung up high so I can hang my rulers on the same wall. (I need to be able to reach them!) I seem to be missing quite a few rulers in various sizes. I had a lot of Creative Grids rulers that got lost in the move. I hope they turn up! I use Command hooks to hold them so I can move them around when I get different rulers in different sizes.
I do have a lot of ribbons in my studio and I needed a better way to store and access them. When they were in a box in my cupboard, I never knew what I had in there. And it was always a mess of tangles. So I decided to hang them using a curtain rod.
They were too long to fit in the space I had, so I used my pipe cutter to cut a bit off each. You could use a hack saw, I guess, but I have this pipe cutter in my booth set-up box for when I go to shows. Very handy (and easy) tool.
Here's what the finished ribbon display looks like. I have a little shelf above the ribbons to hold my collection of pin cushions. I guess I could add another row of ribbons if I need to.
(My red stools are leftover from a booth, too.)
Next I want to show you my pressing station. I love crisply pressed blocks and I have several really good irons. Consequently, I had the electrician add a dedicated outlet so that if I have friends over and we have lots of irons plugged in, we won't need to keep re-setting the breaker. (This is the voice of experience.)
I ran out of room for books on my shelves, because I need them all for fabric. So I decided to use the space that would be under an ironing board for book storage. I went searching for cheap and roomy solution. I ended up with a kitchen cabinet without the doors. $36 at IKEA. It was easy to put together, and holds all my books with room for more. (I guess I need to buy more books!)
I added locking casters to the bottom of the cabinet, so I can roll it around if I want it closer to my sewing station.
Then I made my ironing surface. I bought a 24" x 48" board--it is a high quality particle board. Then I drilled small holes all over it to let the steam escape. If you don't use steam, you can eliminate this step, but I LOVE steam.
I used flat 100% cotton batting (two layers) and 100% cotton canvas twill for the top. I stapled the fabric all the way around. If I need to change the cover, I can just take this cover off and staple on a new one.
To help keep my ironing surface clean, I iron a layer of freezer paper to it, and just peel it off when it gets soiled or burned.
I used industrial strength Velcro to attach the legs to the top of the cabinet. Now I have a finished ironing surface that is mobile! And I can even take it off the cabinet if I want to take it to a retreat or use it somewhere else.
That's all for now. I have one more post to finish up the studio tour. See you soon.