Saturday, September 25, 2010

ON THE DESIGN WALL NOW...

I am trying to design a fun little baby quilt. Here it is mocked up on my design wall. I just can't decide which fabric to use on the sails. The pieced background is pretty busy, so I am not sure if I like the fabric I planned on using....

Or if the plain white dot is better? What do you think? Please feel free to comment, because if you don't, I am reduced to asking my husband his opinion, and that could be risky.


(If you ever see a quilt I made, and you wondered what in the world I was thinking, it could be that there were no quilters around when I asked, "How does this look?")
So you see, I am counting on you for good advice.


I am using the wonderful Quick Points Ruler to make my "waves." It sure makes it easy to make prairie points, or picots. My friend Janet developed this ruler and it is AWESOME!

Just cut, press,


and glue baste. (of course using Jillily Studio Appli-Glue!)

Voila!
I think I will put a wavey points border on this quilt to finish it. That will be great.
If you need a baby quilt for a little boy, this pattern will be available by Oct. 5. Hopefully. Well, that's the plan anyway.

I await your advice.

20 comments:

bountiful quilter said...

The plain white dot is good-and safe-but I kind of like the unexpectedness of the print fabric. What if you did the plain white dot with an added band of the print? Could be cute.

Wendy said...

You have got to go with the print. The print is light enough for a great contrast against the spectacular background. Really. Go for it! :-)

Wendy said...

You have got to use the cute print! It is light enough to make a good contrast against the fantastic background and way more interesting than the plain dot. It will tie into the border too! Love this cute quilt with the peeking prairie point whitecaps! Go for it! :-)

Jonathan said...

I like them both, but I really like the white polka dot. Of course I ♥ anything with polka dots☺

Barb said...

What a clever quilt...I love love love my ruler like that...and what you have done with it is just awesome....

Christine said...

Like most... I actually think either fabric would work great, but I tend to like things simplified, so I would use the plain white. No matter what though, that quilt is so darn cute! I'll be making one even if I already have a too many baby boy quilts:)

I'm also super excited that you showed us that cool ruler. I will be ordering one of those soon!

Beth Hawkins said...

Hi Jill! Super cute quilt! I like the white dot, but that's just me. And I know what you mean about asking a hubby's opinion...yikes! Mine has just learned to say "CUTE" no matter what. So that's no help, really.
Whatever you decide, it's gonna be great. Love the points. See you at Market!!

Beth of Lizzie B

Anna said...

I would go for the white sails. But it's gonna be beautiful either way!

Shirlene said...

I love the classic white dot since it's a sail.....which surprises me because I would generally choose the print. The white just sets off the sail!

Karen said...

Hmmm... While I think the print sails are pretty, I absolutely LOVE the polka dot white sails! They seem to really stand out much more. This is such an adorable quilt!

Amy said...

Jill,

You are fantastic AND amazing! I'm not sure why you need advice. Everything you do turns out darling! I think the white sails "pop" so those are the ones that I would use.

Talk to ya soon.

Yumm yumz by patticakes said...

I have to agree with Wendy . . . the print really gives it punch and pulls the border into the theme - can't wait to get my copy of the pattern!

Sherrill said...

I LOVE the quilt just the way it is and that ruler looks AWESOME!!

Karen said...

white sails. I love how much they pop.

nancym said...

I like the white better - it "pops" and has a crisp feel. Love the quilt!!

Janet said...

I'm a tradionalist and sails are white not patterned! They just seem to pop with all the other colors.

Leslie said...

I like the printed fabric. And I will buy this pattern! It's darling. I have the ruler in all sizes!

Riley and Talia Lyman said...

Mom...I like the print. It makes it look younger, which is always good. Plus that fabric is REALLY cute.

Rebecca Merry said...

Oh my gosh that is freakin adorable!!!! I totally love the pieced background. I looks like the water has movement!

Rebecca Merry said...

Oh my gosh that is freakin adorable!!!! I totally love the pieced background. I looks like the water has movement!