Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!




Today is my mom's birthday.  She is 95 years old.  That is a long life!  And she is still really living it.  She has been very busy for the past few years writing her history.  It is quite a story. She raised 5 girls and 1 boy and I learned almost everything from her.  She was a great cook, wife, seamstress, gardener, mother, housekeeper, teacher, hostess, etc, etc.  She tried to teach me to sew, and I remember sitting at that black Singer machine in the laundry room, trying to set in a sleeve.  I wasn't very good at it, not like my sisters.  I was usually off playing football or Army, or swimming.  But Mom planted the seed, and look what I am up to today!  Happy Birthday Mom!!  

She would really hate this photo, ("Why did you put in one with my mouth open?!")  but I think it is fun.  It is from last year's party.  We are all going to have another party this year on Saturday.  Mom has 38 grandkids, and I think, 52 Great-grands.  Of course, that is an ever-changing number.  We now call her "GG" for Great Grandma, not to be confused with all the other grandmas at family get-togethers.  To quote Keaton, a great-grandchild, "Oh I know GG, she's that old girl with the stick."  (A coded reference to her cane, the only clue to her advanced age.)

Jordan (my son) and I just finished making brownies.  I reached into the pantry to get the powdered sugar, and pulled it out upside down, with the package open.  We were both covered with the white stuff, and it is not snow!  What a sweet end to the day.  

3 comments:

Nicole said...

What a great party! I am now proud to be an official follower! - I was an anonymous follower before, so don't be discouraged...there are probably hundreds of anonymous followers out there.

Nicole said...

(By the way...this is Nicole...)

Jenn said...

I am so glad that you learned to set a sleeve. Where would we all be, if some of the sewing lessons didn't stick?